Warehouse Coordinator Position
- Have experience as a warehouse and/or logistics professional?
- Enjoy working independently but love interacting with a group of dedicated colleagues and community volunteers?
- Want to make a tangible difference in the lives of over 5,000 individuals by addressing the problem of hunger head-on?
The Alameda Food Bank may be looking for you to join our team of four full-time team members and over 150 community volunteers. The Alameda Food Bank (AFB) began operating in 1977 from a closet at Twin Towers Methodist Church providing monthly emergency food to an average of ten local families in need. In a pre-pandemic year, we serve nearly 5,600 food insecure individuals in the City of Alameda. During the pandemic, we have been operating our drive-through food distribution three days a week, averaging 1500 families a week.
Reporting directly to the Warehouse Manager, the Warehouse Coordinator assists in most aspects of the warehouse and food inventory operation, including successful receiving, transport and storage of inventory, as well as ensures high standards of sanitation. Supporting the Program Manager, the Warehouse Coordinator acts as a team leader to our group of dedicated volunteers and guides them as they collect, sort and distribute food at the warehouse. A successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- At least one (1) year experience as forklift operator with current certification.
- At least five (5) years driving experience with valid California Class C driver’s license with insurable driving record and demonstrable skills operating Sprinter size or larger vehicles
- Accurate, detail-oriented, and punctual.
- Demonstrable mathematical and writing skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills necessary to provide customer service.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work well in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to occasionally work early morning or weekend hours.
- Ability to comply with soft PTO blackout policy during AFB’s peak season (November 1st – January 15th).
- Experience in a warehouse with food or perishable commodities, preferably in large scale operations and/or food store. Food Banking experience a plus.
- ServSafe certified or ability to earn certification within thirty days of hire.
- Three (3) years operating Sprinter size or larger vehicles.
- One (1) year experience building pallets and preparing for transport.
- Previous volunteer-management experience
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES & VALUES
- Service orientation with the ability to work both independently and in a collaborative setting with people of diverse backgrounds and circumstances
- Able to conduct duties in a collaborative and professional manner.
- Strong work ethic with a learning orientation
- Impeccable integrity and honesty.
- Strong team player with the ability to balance operational and volunteer needs
This position is in an open warehouse environment and requires working for a full shift while exposed to seasonal weather temperatures. Able to perform the following duties with or without accommodation:
- Participate or assist in physical tasks and activities which include but are not limited to bending, reaching, lifting, pushing, pulling, kneeling, squatting, stooping, and reaching above shoulder height to moving product and equipment more than 60 lbs.
- Work in a warehouse environment with temperatures ranging from minus 2 degrees to above 90 degrees.
- Traverse the warehouse floor frequently throughout the day to execute duties
- Stand/sit for duration of scheduled shift
- Mobility to respond to moving vehicles, equipment, and loud noises/sounds typical in a warehouse setting
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This is a full-time, non-exempt position working Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (40 hours per week, thirty minute unpaid lunch). The non-negotiable starting salary for this position is $21.00 per hour ($43,680 annualized).
AFB offers a competitive benefit package including:
- Medical/Dental/Vision Coverage: AFB pays 100% of employee premiums for medical, dental and vision coverage. Employees may opt to pay premium(s) to add their dependents to our plans.
- Ability to participate in life, long-term disability and employer assistance program (EAP)
- Paid Time Off (PTO): Employees are eligible to accrue up to 15 days of PTO in their first year
- Paid Holidays: Twelve (12) paid holidays annually
Alameda Food Bank believes that all individuals deserve to be treated with respect and dignity at all times. To that end, the Alameda Food Bank provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the AFB complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the AFB has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.