In order to receive food from the Alameda Food Bank, you need to come to one of our regular programs (see below), and get a membership (become a client) to the Food Bank.
Clients of the Food Bank must be residents of the City of Alameda and have financial need. A single person can make up to $2970 a month; a family of three can make up to $5040 and still qualify. Our cutoffs for eligibility are considerably higher than the federal guidelines for services because they are based on what it actually costs to live in the Bay Area. Our average client saves roughly $500 a month on food that can be used for rent, medical expenses or utilities.
In order to become a client of the Alameda Food Bank you will need to present a Picture I.D and current proof of your Alameda residency (the most recent utility bill, rental agreement, etc.). If there are others in your household for whom you will be getting food, please bring in some form of documentation for each of them. Acceptable documentation could be:
- Driver’s License
- Transit ID
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate
- Medical Insurance card
- School report card
We will conduct a brief interview to verify eligibility. The interview includes the number of family members in your household, income sources and amounts, residency, and other relevant data. Once the interview is complete, and you qualify for the Food Bank, you may immediately pick up your first food basket. At each visit thereafter we verify your information, noting any changes.
For 2016 Holiday Hours and Information click here.
The Food Bank offers two programs that can be attended once per month and one program that can be attended once per week.
Monthly Pantry Program (each client may come once per month, holidays excluded) – 1900 Thau Way Click on the address to see a map of the location.
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, from 1-4 PM
- Tuesday, from 4:30-6:30 PM
- The second, third and fourth Saturday of each month, from 11 AM-1 PM
Perishable and Non-Perishable foods distributed. USDA Food Packages are also available to all eligible households with their regular Monthly Food Pantry Pickup.
First Saturday (Client Food Selection) – 650 West Ranger Click on the address to see a map of the location.
- First Saturday of each month from 10 AM-12:30 PM
- Our Client Food Selection program allows you to choose your food items, based upon what we have available in our warehouse. Non-Perishable foods distributed.
Weekly Perishable Food Program (each client may come once per week, holidays excluded)
- Hours are Tuesday and Thursday from 9:30-10:30 AM
- Tuesday is held at Christ Episcopal Church, 1700 Santa Clara (corner of Grand). Click on the address to see a map of the location.
- Thursday is held at the Food Bank warehouse, 650 West Ranger in Alameda Point. Click on the address to see a map of the location.
Perishable foods distributed.